Friday, April 27, 2012

The World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates

The World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates is a gathering of some of the most influential world leaders, Nobel Peace Prize recipients, former presidents and representatives of multiple Nobel Peace Laureate organizations.

Basically, it's a BIG deal.

Check out the schedule to see all of the big names in attendance...
http://www.nobelforpeace-summits.org/schedule-for-2012-world-summit-of-nobel-peace-laureates/

My pictures from the event aren't of great quality, but I'd like to share them with you anyways. Along with a few quotes I managed to scribble down while being inspired by these amazing people!

NIU Representatives!
Nora, myself, Shay and Behe

"Seek knowledge. Be courageous. Take time to understand an issue. 
Have a vision for the kind of society you'd like to see."
Ms. Ingeborg Breines


Our view was from very far away!
"Unite, go forward and you will succeed."

Dr. Shirin Ebadi


The Chicago Symphony Orchestra is a BEAUTIFUL building!


"Help guide the traffic."
Sean Penn


Panel on "A World without Nuclear Weapons"
David Martin
Dr. Shirin Ebadi
Mr. Jayantha Dhanapala
Dr. Ira Helfand
Mrs. Ingeborg Breines

"The best way to protect your own self interest 
is to show genuine concern for others." 
His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama



Sean Penn making his acceptance speech
for the 2012 Peace Summit Award

"We need a new world order. More just, stable and humane."  
His Excellency Mikhail Gorbachev



Panel on "World Peace and Nonviolence: Never Give Up"
His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama
His Excellency Mikhail Gorbachev
[???]
Professor Jody Williams
Professor Muhammad Yunus 
Yes, the Dalai Lama is in fact wearing a red visor that matches his monk outfit. Pretty awesome.


Many of the laureates applauding Sean Penn as he receives his award.


A few observations I made during the few hours I spent learning from these world leaders...

  1. The Dalai Lama is funny. Seriously! He made me laugh multiple times. His sense of humor was refreshing and enlightening.
  2. Nuclear power = nuclear weapons. The two go hand in hand.
  3. Programs on peace education should be in schools! (Not my idea!)
  4. Do you know what types of investments your bank makes? I plan to learn where my bank invests. I will not support a company that invests in nuclear energy/weapons. 
  5. Doctors have a code of conduct. The #1 rule is "Do No Harm".  Why don't scientists have a similar code of conduct? (Again, not my idea!)
  6. Service has to be of service to humanity. (Again, not my idea!)
  7. "The war against poverty of life can only be fought globally." (Again, not my idea!)
  8. Dialogue & Education can bring about world peace!
  9. "Poor people are bonsai people. They are good seeds but society never gave them space to grow." Professor Muhammad Yunus
  10. If the old system is (obviously) not working, throw it in the basket! Advice from the Dalai Lama. 

Overall, this event provided me with a new sense of direction and empowerment for my life. I may not be able to make a huge impact on the world, and I would be naive to think I could single handedly bring about world peace. Regardless, I now understand the important role I have been assigned to advocate, educate, research, understand, and take action towards world peace. 

1 comment:

  1. How does one attend something like this without being really connected/being a part of an awesome leadership organization?

    ReplyDelete