Sunday, October 21, 2012

An Almost Nurse - Part 2

I began this series back in September and haven't touched it since. As the school year began, I was overwhelmed with the realization that in less than a year I would (hopefully) be a licensed nurse. Now, as I look ahead to next October, I see even more changes to come. If all things go as planned, Ross and I could be married, living in Chicago, both working full time. Talk about growing up.

I like the way that Jess Lively talked about growing up in her post HERE. Below is an excerpt that struck a chord with me...

"While I waited (very) impatiently for this move and the general life transitions I’ve had lately, I now find myself in a completely new life. I thought that I would feel resplendent. Triumphant. Confident. I had designed my life with such great intention that I was able to take the steps needed to craft the life I always imagined. But though the fairy tale came true, the reality is that I am now in uncharted waters... Though I dreamed of this moment in time for the past three months incessantly, I look around myself and say “how did I get here?” I have a lot of growing to do."

I am anxiously awaiting the transitions to adulthood, married life, motherhood, etc. As Jess says, though, these transitions bring us into uncharted waters. We dream, wish and hope for so many years. Then one day we are actually living it and wondering, "How the heck did I get here?" and "What in the world am I supposed to do now?"

As many of my married friends would attest, it's something you muddle through. No number of self-help books or hours spent planning can prepare us for the changes that are to come.

Life is the ultimate example of on-the-job-training.
That's supposed to be the fun part right?


No comments:

Post a Comment